|"I thought I'd go away for a while."|
|Eye of Set|
|Former Leader of The Twenty-first Nome|
|Most Powerful Magician|
|Nickname:||Uncle Amos (Sadie, Carter)|
|Family:||Julius Kane (brother)|
Carter Kane (nephew)
Sadie Kane (niece)
Ruby Kane (sister-in-law)
He presumably grew up with his brother, Julius, and trained as a magician in the First Nome, becoming a member of the House of Life. He was the last member of the Twenty-first Nome, located in Brooklyn, before Carter and Sadie arrived. He lived in Brooklyn House with his pets Khufu and Philip of Macedonia. He was present for Sadie's sixth birthday party and was splattered with icing when the siblings accidentally made the cake explode. Julius says Amos was never his match, so if Julius wasn't dead (or exiled), he would be Chief Lector before Amos, possibly before Desjardins.
- When Amos begins to suspect that his brother will attempt to release Osiris, Amos becomes concerned and tracks Julius down in England. Apparently knowing that Julius intends to Try and bring back his late wife, Amos begs him to reconsider, expressing concern for his niece and nephew, but Julius ignores him. When the five gods are released from the Rosetta Stone, Amos is possessed by Set. While possessed by Set, Amos attempts to do what he can to tip off others that he is not himself, including using chaos magic, despite the fact that Set forces him to use his own magic reserves, endangering his life. The uninformed Sadie and Carter, however, do not catch on and when Carter has a vision of Set, Amos pretends to investigate and feigns capture.
- As Carter and Sadie draw closer to Phoenix and defeating Set, Amos rejoins them and escorts them back to Set's base. Despite the fact that it has become increasingly obvious that their uncle is not himself and the fact that Zia Rashid can sense that he is possessed, they take no action until Set reveals himself. Carter and Sadie are able to defeat Set and bring Amos back to Brooklyn, but the experience of being possessed by Set is traumatizing for Amos. When Carter and Sadie visit their father in the Land of the Dead, Julius asks for them to pass along a message for Amos, advising him to remember that the Egyptians thought of the sunrise not just as a new day, but a new world. Shortly later, Amos begins to show signs of recovery and declares that he would travel to the First Nome and visit the healers there.
- Having returned from the first Nome, Amos starts the book at the Brooklyn House helping out Carter and Sadie. When The House of Life attacks, Amos leads the magicians in training against the attack. At the end, he becomes Chief Lector of the House of Life as with Desjardins dead, he is the most powerful magician in the world. However, his claim is disputed among other Nomes, and magicians like Kwai and Sarah Jacobi form a band of rebels, who hate the Kanes.
- After learning of the impending threat from Sarah Jacobi and her rebels, Sadie takes a scared Leonid to see Amos. Amos is shown looking over Iskandar's old war map and admitts the war is not going well and is stunned to learn from Leonid that its because Jacobi and Apophis are working together. He is also stunned by Sadie and Carter's plan to destroy Apophis and restore Bes, but supports it, sending Zia Rashid to help. Zia believes this was to give her time away from Ra as being near him was clouding her thoughts and causing her to blackout more and more which Amos had been trying to help her with. Without Zia there, he assigns Bast to watch Ra which she does at Brooklyn House. Carter eventually realizes from various clues that Amos is now following the Path of Set and channeling that god's power. When this fact is learned, the Kanes become worried about him since Set possesed him before and it nearly destroyed him. However Set, indicating that Amos sent him, appears to Carter and reassures him that he is not manipulating or using Amos, saying that Amos summoned him not the other way around. To help with the upcoming battle, Carter sends him Brooklyn House's trainees and Bast. During the battle, Amos hosts Set directly, but is shown to be able to control Set this time while channeling his powers. Carter uses this as a convincing argument that Amos is not evil, but Amos falls after being ganged up upon and is used as a hostage by Jacobi to stop the battle. However, when she threatens Sadie, Walt Stone, hosting Anubis, steps in and kills her and defeats Kwai. When Kwai casts a spell with his own life force to bring down the Hall of Ages, Amos is unable to do anything even with the power of Set, but Sadie manages to stop the collapse by casting Ma'at. With Jacobi and Kwai dead, the rebels switch sides and Amos offers Carter his rightful position as pharoah of the House of Life. Carter accepts and leads both the gods and magicians into battle and he and Sadie destroy Apophis. Like all of the other gods except Anubis, Set leaves Amos again and leaves the Earth with the other gods. Amos later officaly crowns Carter as pharoah, though Carter leaves him in charge while goes to school and lives the life of a normal teenager.
Amos is kind, easy-going, a powerful magician, and gentle. He is very loving towards his niece and nephew, wants what's best for them and cares deeply for his brother even though they seem very distant due to Julius' banishment. He also welcomed Julius' wife, Ruby, without any antagonism or bad feelings unlike the Fausts.
Amos is described as being barrel-shaped with skin the color of roasted coffee. When the Kanes first see him he is wearing a trench coat and a fedora. He wears pinstriped suits, coats and hats; he also tends to braid his hair with gems to match. Carter considers him to have 'style', and adds that Amos reminds him of a jazz musician. Sadie describes him as smelling of 'old timey' spices, like an incense shop. Both Carter and Sadie say he has a twinkle in his eyes, but they're always full of sadness.
Although only a limited amount of Amos's power is seen, he contains a great amount of magical strength. He was the second most powerful magician at the beginning of the Throne of Fire. After Desjardins, the most powerful magician and Chief Lector, sacrificed himself execrating Apophis, Amos became the most powerful magician in the world.
Hieroglyphic Spells: Like almost every other magician, Amos can cast normal hieroglyphic spells. However, his level of skill is equivalent to that of Desjardins. He also has a good knowledge and understanding of the different glyphs and symbols. He can also check or loosen traps, such as his own house when he was under Set's influence.
- Divine Words: He can speak Divine Words such as A'max to summon a fire, hi-nehm to re-create objects, llen En-mar to make the target approach you, and Med-wah to communicate with a foreign magician. Since he is the Chief Lector, it is presumed that next to Sadie, Amos can speak the most number of Divine Words in the world.
Telepathy: Amos' mind is very concentrated and resilient. He managed to bend the mind of a security guard and made him blank. This is again shown when Set possessed him and even then, he controls some of his actions to an extent. He also tries to give hints to Carter and Sadie that he was being manipulated.
Duat Travel: In the Red Pyramid, Amos displays the ability to travel through the Duat from London to Brooklyn in a magical boat, even with Sadie and Carter. After talking with Carter and Sadie and jumping from his mansion's terrace, Amos uses this to reach the ground.
Path of SetEdit
Storm Magic: By channeling the Path of Set, Amos can project lightning and cast waves of sand. He displays this during the Battle of Brooklyn House and the final fight against Apophis, whilst hosting Set and using the god's avatar. Amos can also summon tornadoes and hurricanes but he has to draw more power from the Path of Set.
Eye of Set AbilitiesEdit
Amos used to be the former host of Set. He was twisted against his will and his sanity became at risk after the hosting. Even though Amos despises Set, he admits that he needs his full powers to fight Apophis and becomes the Eye of Set. However, this are the abilites he could only do when being the host of Set:
Storm Cloud Transformation: After Set left him, he lost the abiliy to transform himself and others into storm clouds. This is a disguise transformation like Carter and Sadie's bird morphs. Set mentions that he came up with this by himself, and says this transformation is old.
Combat Magic: In the final battle against Apophis, Amos hosted Set and used the Set avatar. His appearance is a mix between a sandstorm and fire, much like Apophis except less chaotic. Amos can also use storm magic while using the Set avatar, and also has a resistance to it. This is displayed when he shrugged off Kwai's lightning and retaliated with his own red one. However, Amos can only use the Set avatar for a short time, as he also has to restrain Set from destroying everything.
Julius Kane: Although the details of their relationship are scarce, the brothers seem to care very much for one another. Amos attempts to dissuade Julius from going to the British Museum and releasing Osiris for fear of his brother's life. Likewise, Julius was concerned for his brother when he became traumatized by being possessed by Set and offers him wisdom and kind words. When asked about the fight they had over Julius' plan, he dismisses it, saying that they used to fight a lot, indicating that though they were close, they had their disagreements but didn't let that get in the way of their relationship. He also told Carter and Sadie that after Julius was banished from the House of Life and Amos was banned from seeing him, it was difficult for him as he cared a lot about his brother and niece and nephew.
- Upon arriving in New York City, Amos makes a reference to Rick Riordan's other series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. He states that Manhattan has "other gods" and looks at the Empire State Building, implying he know some deal of knowledge about the Greek gods and where they currently reside. In the Percy Jackson series, the Greek gods lived in Mt. Olympus, on top of the Empire State Building.
|v • d • e Kane Chronicles|
|Core Series||The Red Pyramid • The Throne of Fire • The Serpent's Shadow|
|Main Characters||Carter Kane • Sadie Kane|
|Major Characters||Ra • Anubis • Apophis • Bast • Bes • Horus • Isis • Zia Rashid • Set • Walt Stone|
|Other Characters||Michel Desjardins • Geb • Iskandar • Jaz • Amos Kane • Julius Kane • Ruby Kane • Khufu • Nephthys • Nut • Osiris • Thoth • List of Characters|
|Locations||Brooklyn House • Duat • The Egyptian Queen • List of Locations|
|Other||House of Life • Magic • Magician • Kane Family • List of Terms • Rick Riordan • Survival Guide|