|"Die, enemies of Ra! Perish in agony!"|
|Destroyer of the Wicked|
|Goddess of the Desert|
|Goddess of Famine and Plague|
|Goddess of Warfare and Vengeance|
|Lady of Flame|
|Patron of Healers|
|Goddess of Destruction|
|Specialty:||Fire Magic |
|Family:||Ra (father) |
Hathor (alternate form)
Serqet and Bast (sisters)
|Status:||Active (converted to Hathor)|
|Appears In:||The Red Pyramid|
Sekhmet was once the Eye of Ra, but she was too difficult to control and began slaughtering everyone. Desperate to stop her, magicians tricked her into drinking wine dyed red, making her believe it was blood. After she passed out, Ra turned her into Hathor, the goddess of motherhood, love, joy, and cows. The position of Eye of Ra was then given to Bast.
- Sekhmet is later released from her imprisonment by Michel Desjardins to kill Sadie Kane, Carter Kane, Amos Kane, and Zia Rashid. They tricked her into transforming into Hathor by feeding her salsa, which Sekhmet thought was blood and drank until she was full. Hathor falls asleep right after transforming. She was then recalled into the heavens.
- Jaz is studying the Path of Sekhmet as a healer and during the fight in the Brooklyn Museum, she channels Sekhmet's power through her to defeat the seven bau known as the Seven Arrows of Sekhmet. According to Jaz, they are plague spirits created by the goddess and by channeling her power, Jaz is able to cast a spell to banish them back to the Duat, curing all of their victims. Sekhmet is later mentioned by Bes as having escaped from her prison briefly in 1918 and causing the Spanish Flu pandemic while free.
Sekhmet is fierce and unstoppable with a blood lust that blinds her to all else, but Carter suspects that she may be somewhat unintelligent because she is easily tricked into believing that salsa is blood. However, in mythology, she is also a goddess of strategy, somewhat akin to the Greek goddess Athena.
Sekhmet is described as a 'golden woman' in glowing red armor. Her skin glows like liquid gold, her chest plate and skirt looks like they are made from molten lava, and her hair looks like a lion mane. Carter says 'she was beautiful in the way an atomic explosion is beautiful.'
She commonly takes the form of a lioness with a sun floating above her head (to symbolize Ra) when on a rampage.
Powers and Abilities
Sekhmet is an incredible skilled warrior and is proficient with a sword and bows and arrows. She is able to summon flames as she pleases. In her lioness form her very breath can turn whatever it comes into contact with to the desert. It is said that she was far more powerful when Ra was active. She has the ability to create plagues, as mentioned by Bes she created the 1918 Spanish Influenza Pandemic after having escaped briefly in that year and she created plague spirits to do her bidding such as the bau known as the Seven Arrows of Sekhmet. She and any magician channeling her power can control these spirits as well.
Ra: Sekhmet is fanatically loyal to Ra and desires nothing else but to destroy his enemies. But her blood lust makes her blind to anything else than destroying his enemies which she assumes to be everyone. In ancient myths, however, Sekhmet was the consort of the god Ptah and the mother of Nefertem, the god of lotuses. She is also considered to be associated with Bast and Tefnut. In some occasions, Ra is her father
In Egyptian mythology, Sekhmet (also spelled Sachmet, Sakhet, Sekmet, Sakhmet and Sekhet; and given the Greek name, Sachmis), was originally the warrior goddess of Upper Egypt. She is depicted as a lioness, the fiercest hunter known to the Egyptians. It was said that her breath created the desert. She was seen as the protector of the pharaohs and led them in warfare.
Her cult was so dominant in the culture that when the first pharaoh of the twelfth dynasty, Amenemhat I, moved the capital of Egypt to Itjtawy, the center for her cult was moved as well. Religion, the royal lineage, and the authority to govern were intrinsically interwoven in Ancient Egypt during its approximately three thousand years of existence.
Sekhmet also is a solar deity, often considered an aspect of the goddesses Hathor and Bast. She bears the solar disk and the Uraeus which associates her with Wadjet and royalty. With these associations she can be construed as being a divine arbiter of the goddess Ma'at (Justice, or Order) in the Judgment Hall of Osiris, The Eye of Horus, and connecting her with Tefnut as well.
- Sekhmet was turned into Hathor after Ra saw how many people she had killed.
- In some occasions, Sekhmet killed many people before Ra laid out pomegranate with beer for her to mistaken it for blood. Sekhmet drank it and became drunk and returned peacefully to Ra.
- Other names can be Lady of Slaughter, Mistress of Dread, She Who Mauls, and One Before Whom Evil Trembles.
|v • d • e Kane Chronicles|
|Core Series||The Red Pyramid • The Throne of Fire • The Serpent's Shadow|
|Crossovers||The Son of Sobek • The Staff of Serapis|
|Main Characters||Carter Kane • Sadie Kane|
|Major Characters||Ra • Anubis • Apophis • Bast • Bes • Horus • Isis • Zia Rashid • Set • Walt Stone|
|Other Characters||Michel Desjardins • Geb • Iskandar • Jaz • Amos Kane • Julius Kane • Ruby Kane • Khufu • Nephthys • Nut • Osiris • Thoth • Percy Jackson • Annabeth Chase • List of Characters|
|Locations||Brooklyn House • Duat • The Egyptian Queen • List of Locations|
|Other||House of Life • Magic • Magician • Kane Family • List of Terms • Rick Riordan • Survival Guide|
The picture shows how Sekhmet looks like