|"Shut up, Carter."|
|Eye of Khepri-Ra|
|Scribe of the First Nome|
|Nickname:||Miss Magic (Sadie)
Iskandar (mentor, adoptive father, deceased)
|Date of Birth:||1996|
Zia lived in a village known as Al-Hamrah Makan (meaning The Place of Red Sands) with her father and mother. Zia's father was a farmer who would search for artifacts in exchange for payment from archaeologists. When she was eight years old, her father brought home a small red statue, unaware that a monster was sealed inside. He unwittingly unleashed it and it destroyed the entire village. The House of Life found her hidden in a fire pit and under some reeds, where her mother had hidden her; she was the only survivor. Chief Lector Iskandar took her in, but found that Zia had no memory of her life. He provided her with the details of what happened to her, as well as photographs of her village and family, something that Zia later included in a shrine to her family.
Zia then began to train as a magician in the First Nome; when she turned thirteen, she was the only one in her age group to remain in Egypt.
- When the House of Life begins to suspect that Julius Kane may try to summon a god, Zia and Michel Desjardins begin to tail him. They follow Julius and his two children, Carter and Sadie, to the British Museum, where Julius releases five gods. Unknown to both her and Desjardins, Zia becomes the host for Nephthys. After the explosion, the two find the unconscious bodies of Carter and Sadie. Zia suggests that they be killed, but Desjardins refuses because it is not within their instructions. They return to the First Nome and Iskandar comes to realize that Zia is, in fact, a godling. Fearing for her life, he hides her away and replaces her with a shabti. Not long later, Zia tracks down the Kane siblings in Brooklyn, where she briefly fights Serqet after Bast, the cat goddess failed in her fight against Serqet. Sadie opens a poral to the First Nome after Zia binds Serqet with the Seven Ribbons. There, Zia brings the siblings to Iskandar, who decides to 'test' them in the morning to see their real godly powers; Zia then shows the siblings to their quarters.
- That night, Zia goes to her shrine, but is spotted by Carter, who follows her. While she is praying, he sees a glowing orb lift from her and float away, but when he mentions it, he is met with confusion. Upon studying her shrine, Carter asks about Zia's family and she explains her past to him. Feeling for her, Carter suggests that they go to the mall sometime and have fun, something that Zia assumes is a date. The next morning, Zia teaches Sadie and Carter the basics of magic and has them duel one another. She becomes shocked when she discoveres Carter hosts Horus but the training is cut short, however, when Zia hears the news of Iskandar's death and that Desjardins has become the new Chief Lector. Zia advises the siblings to run away, warning them that the next time they met, it would be as enemies.
- After their escape, Desjardins, Zia, Mel, and another magician begin to search for the Kane siblings, saving a plummeting airplane in the process. Zia is eventuallyy able to contact Carter in his sleep and asks him to meet her in Las Cruces so they can work together to defeat Set. Upon meeting there, however, they are betrayed by Mel and a fight breaks out. Due to the efforts of Amos Kane, who had recently joined with the Kane siblings, Zia, Sadie, and Carter are able to escape, but Desjardins summons Sekhmet to hunt them down; they are eventually able to convert her into Hathor by tricking her into eating salsa.Sekhmet thinks it is blood,and drinks so much that it puts her to sleep and turns into a gentler cow-headed godess. Zia then helps the siblings animate a coat to drive a car for them and they begin to head toward Phoenix until they encounter Amos once again. Zia, knowing that Sadie intends to defeat Set by speaking his secret name, seems to sense that Set is possessing Amos. She offers to tell Sadie Set's secret name and asks that she use it against Amos. Sadie, however, refuses, and the group continues on to Phoenix where they confront Set. In the battle, however, Set attacks Zia, believing that she is Nephthys and unaware that she is, in reality, a shabti. She is gravely wounded, but manages to tell Sadie Set's secret name. Sadie is able to use Set's name to defeat him, but moments later Zia's shabti disintegrates, much to Carter's grief. Desperate to ensure her safety, Carter vows to find the real Zia.
- Carter finds the real Zia in a hidden tomb under the Nile. He and Bes free her, and she rejected Nephthys. Zia was too shocked to believe that she knew Carter after he told her that Iskandar was dead. Desjardins and Vlad Menshikov follow Carter, freezing Bes, and Zia believes she and Carter are enemies. Carter is forced to fight against Desjardins and Vlad, but refuses to majorly hurt anyone. Soon Sadie and Walt appear through a portal and unfreeze Bes. Bes scares Desjardins and Vlad, knocking them out. Zia also faints and the four take her away. Zia and Sadie surprisingly become friends, to Carter's dismay. Together they beat Bes and Walt at a game of Senet. Zia agrees to talk to Carter after burning down two previous hotel rooms.
- Later, Zia agrees to protect Brooklyn House from Vlad's attackers by talking them out of it. Talking doesn't work, but the house was safe when Carter and Sadie returned. In the end, Zia and Amos return to the First Nome so Amos could take his rightful place as Chief Lector after Desjardins was killed imprisoning Apophis. Also, it hints that Apophis is unleashed (by her father, who eventually dies) in Zia's village. Carter learns this and tries to warn her about it, but she refuses that it is the truth.
- Zia is taking care of Ra and she learns that he has chosen her to be his host. While visiting the House of Rest in the Duat she almost torches the place to the ground before Sadie intervened and Zia also breaks up a lava fight between two senile gods during the story. Zia journeys to the Land of Demons with Carter and Setne, destroying the Apis Bull with the power she channels from Ra and later Bloodstained Blade. She kisses Carter after destroying Bloodstained Blade and admits attraction to him. With the help of Sadie, the two retrieve the shadow of Apophis and are rescued from an army of demons by gods led by Tawaret and the restored Bes. After Ra picks them up in his boat, Zia consents to being his host and Ra is reborn. Zia and Ra battle Apophis but are swallowed by him. However, the Kanes destroy Apophis and Zia and Ra are saved.
- Zia is later taken on a date at the Mall of America by Carter and starts a relationship with him, moving into Brooklyn House to be with him and experiencing what it's like to be a "normal" teenager.
Zia is highly intelligent, and is often harsh, determined, and single-minded, making her an excellent fighter and strategist. She is also, however, passionate, holds her dear ones close to her heart, and posseses a warm, soft and more vulnerable side that she rarely allows to show. Carter is likely one of the few to ever have seen it, though indirectly being as it was still only her shabti. Zia may at times become scared, intimidated and frightened. During The Serpent's Shadow, she fears that she is unworthy, not ready, and not strong enough to accept her responsibility as Ra's host. After kissing Carter, she tells him she fears getting close to people as everyone she cared about deeply (Iskandar, her parents) has died, though Carter apparently helps her get past this.
Zia is described as being very pretty with 'vaguely Arabic' features and straight, jet black hair cut at her jawline, Egyptian-style. Her skin is caramel-colored and her eyes are startling amber and lined with kohl. She wears loose linen clothing and Egyptian perfume. She has been described as 'both beautiful and dangerous'. According to Carter, she looks like Queen Nefertiti with her high cheek bones and red lips. After being given the last Khepri beetle by Ra, Zia wears it as a necklace which allows her to channel Ra's power. Even after Ra merges with Khepri and is reborn, Zia is still seen wearing this scarab necklace.
Zia is an extremely skilled magician of the House of Life and specializes in the element of fire. She is skilled in general combat as well and seems to be adept in terms of strategy. Her position in the House of Life is the scribe, meaning she is just beneath the Chief Lector's ranks. Zia is strong enough to completely destroy two hotels and that's just in half-unconscience and half-confusion. Her power level is on par with that of Blood of the Pharaohs.
Fire Magic: This is Zia's specialty. The fact that she can cast the Pillar of Fire, the strongest technique a fire mage could create, to trail Desjardins proves that she is a master of fire. However, Zia collapsed after the incantation, and was powerless the next hours. In The Throne of Fire, the real Zia burned down a hotel room and made another one explode before she calmed down. She can also absorb fire into her staff with a command word.
Heat Resistance: Not only is she a fire mage, Zia is also resistant to heat and this is shown in the Serpent's Shadow, when she was unaffected by lava thrown on her. This makes her hard to defeat by other fire magicians as well as fire gods. Her heat resistance is stronger than most fire mages, due to being a master of fire.
Scrying: Zia learned how to scry as an initiate, and communicates with Carter during the six-month gap between the Throne of Fire and the Serpent's Shadow. While the real Zia was absent, Carter would scry her room and find a scrying bowl, meaning Zia knew how to scry. She can also show something like a video to the person she is talking with, like when showing Carter Jacobi's speech.
Hieroglyphic Spells: Like the magicians of the House of Life, Zia can use hieroglyphic spells although she doesn't use it as much as fire magic. When the shabti Zia taught Carter and Sadie, she displayed a satisfactory knowledge of the principles of magic and hieroglyphs. Zia, like Carter, can use the l'mun spell to cast a invisibility cloud around herself.
Seven Ribbons of Hathor: Her most famous and noticeable spell is the Ribbons of Hathor, which she used to cleanse a human host of the scorpion goddess Serqet. However, she can only do this once an year. Zia is also skilled in manipulating already-created Ribbons of Hathor, as she turned them into a leash when she dragged the ghost Setne towards the demon, Bloodstained Blade.
Summoning Spell: After crossing the Sea of Choas, Zia cast a summoning spell to force Apophis' shadow to come to her. Carter explained that it was summoning a shabti or a minor creature from the Duat, however since it was Apophis' sheut, Zia's summoning spell only made the shadow show itself.
Healing Magic: Although never shown, Zia remarked that Anne Grissom had taught her this magic and was sad she had died. It is unknown as to what extent she is proficient but Zia keeps healing items like the Nefertum's Balm with her for healing, although only has one jar as the balm was rare.
Path of Khepri-Ra
Comet of Khepri: With the Path of Khepri-Ra, Zia can thrust her hand and a miniature comet collides with her target. It was strong enough to get past an Apis Bull's fire resistant shell and reduce the creature to ash. However, because Zia didn't have practice the Path of Khepri-Ra, she almost combusted the first time she used this spell.
Khepri's Shield: In the battle with the Apis Bull, Zia channels the Path of Khepri to produce a shield that resembles a scarab shell, absorbing the Bull's sunfire weapon. She later uses the Khepri's Shield to protect herself, Carter, and Sadie from the Sea of Choas, however this cost most of Ra's power.
Eye of Ra Abilities
During the final battle against Apophis, Zia became the Eye of Ra to fight the enormous serpent. Although she retained her powers from the Path of Ra, she also had another attack which she lost after Ra and the other gods left to the Duat. This is that ability:
Illusions: Zia can influence an enemy, like Apophis, to mistake her location. This was shown when the Serpent attacked her, only for her to disappear and re-appear a few feet back. She can also increase the amount of illusions by influencing the target with heat.
Carter Kane: Although Carter is immediately attracted to Zia, Zia herself does not seem to pay him much mind. It is not until Carter has proved himself upon their entrance into the hidden city of Heliopolis that Zia truly begins to take note of him. She is later touched by Carter's concern for her and his offer of a date. This causes Zia to feel sympathetic with Carter's plight and this, in addition to Nephthys's influence, may be what brought Zia to ally herself with them. Their affection for one another begins to grow to the romantic stage, however Zia's shabti is destroyed, and Carter is distraught by the idea that the real Zia may not know him. It is probable that she somewhat knows him, as it can be inferred that the blue balls of energy her shabti sent were actually memories to the real Zia, meaning that while she doesn't know Carter, she technically does, though her shabti's memories, and the shabti acting as she would.
In The Throne of Fire, the real Zia is first convinced that Carter and herself are enemies, but after making a fuss, she understands Carter's liking to her but tells him she isn't ready. The first time the real Zia showed her affection for Carter was when they held hands (almost) and feels concerned when she finds out he is ready to give his life to save the world. After Sadie and Walt go to get Bes's shadow Zia and Carter have to get the Book of Thoth with Setne. After Bloodstained Blade attackes them they land on a beach at the Land of Demons. While Setne is tied in ribbons carter and Zia have a picnic and Zia kisses him.
Towards the end of The Serpent's Shadow, Zia asks if she can stay at Brooklyn House and Carter readily agrees, but only if she is comfortable and doesn't feel awkward about it. In the middle of that speech he was giving, Zia tells him to shut up and then she leans in and kisses him. Carter stated that she didn't need any magic to shut him up after that. Hence, they started a relationship. He took her on a real date to the Mall of America which amazed Zia as she'd never had friends, never been to a mall and never been on a date. A bunch of nearby guys are shown to be jealous of Zia and Carter's relationship. After earlier kissing Carter, Zia admitted to him that she lost everyone she ever cared about and she feared losing him too. This likely played a part in her relucatance to have a relationship with Carter.
Iskandar: Zia describes Iskandar as the only family she has ever known. After her village was destroyed and her memory lost, Iskandar took her in and raised her almost as if she were his own. Iskandar seemed to love her like a father would and this affection led him to hiding her away after discovering that she was hosting Nephthys. Zia is later greatly grieved by Iskandar's death.
Sadie Kane: Initially, Zia often clashes with Sadie, with mutual antagonism toward each other. This is caused by Sadie's stubborness, as well as Zia's short temper (when dealing with Sadie). Sadie still doubted Zia, even after she stood up for them against Desjardins. Only after Carter snaps at her she begins to cooperate. In The Throne of Fire, the real Zia and Sadie become closer as friends (to Carter's dismay).
Ra: Ra wants Zia to host him but she is worried that she is not strong enough. When Ra says Zebras in The Throne of Fire, he means Zia. She goes through many phases of nearly killing people because she can't control it. Khepri is the part of Ra that Zia is hosting and also the aspect leading to Ra's rebirth. When Zia allows Ra to take her as a host fully, he is reborn which he attributes to her kindness. His last request is for Carter to take care of her for him, showing that even after no longer being senile, he cares a lot about her.
- Zia's last name, "Rashid," is the Arabic word (رشيد) meaning, "rightly guided" and is also the Egyptian name of the Rosetta Stone.
- When Ra said Zebras in The Throne of Fire, he meant Zia.
- Since Zia used to host Nephthys, there was a chance she could die due to being a fire mage. This risk is gone as Nephthys left her body.
- After she summoned the power of Khepri and passed out, Carter heard her say "Dung balls. Time to roll the dung balls", as scarab beetles are also known as dung beetles.
- Zia is the only known magician to host two gods - Nephthys (The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire) and Ra (The Serpent's Shadow)
- The first time Zia met the Kanes, she wanted to kill them, with Desjardins holding her back. Later, it is the other way around.
|v • d • e Kane Chronicles|
|Core Series||The Red Pyramid • The Throne of Fire • The Serpent's Shadow|
|Main Characters||Carter Kane • Sadie Kane|
|Major Characters||Ra • Anubis • Apophis • Bast • Bes • Horus • Isis • Zia Rashid • Set • Walt Stone|
|Other Characters||Michel Desjardins • Geb • Iskandar • Jaz • Amos Kane • Julius Kane • Ruby Kane • Khufu • Nephthys • Nut • Osiris • Thoth • List of Characters|
|Locations||Brooklyn House • Duat • The Egyptian Queen • List of Locations|
|Other||House of Life • Magic • Magician • Kane Family • List of Terms • Rick Riordan • Survival Guide|